I can read fluently with expression, phrasing and attention to punctuation.
I decided that Reader's Theater would be a good approach. Reader's theater is a strategy that combines reading practice and performing. It's goal is to enhance students' reading skills and confidence by having them practice reading with a purpose. Reader's theater gives kids a real reason to read aloud. Scholars were VERY engaged and eager to perform!
After a few days of practice, scholars were ready to perform. The performances were video taped so scholars could watch and give feedback. Some of the feedback included:
- "There was some very expressive reading"
- "Everyone took the reader's theaters seriously."
- "Everyone knew all the words."
- "Actors read the punctuation."
- "Everyone needs to keep their feet still."
- "Speak louder."
- "Hold the scripts down and look up when reading."
All very good advice from some keen observers:)
Scholars enjoyed participating in reader's theater so much, they asked if we could do it again this week...so we are!
The Three Little Pigs
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Little Red Riding Hood
The Little Red Hen