Connect

Connect with me:
irene.boynton@gcisd.net
Twitter: @ireneb2011
Classroom Twitter: @BoyntonsBuzz

Translate

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fact Fluency

This week scholars have been working on number fact fluency. After spending a lot of time with math tools in kindergarten and the first part of first grade I am confident that my scholars understand the concepts of combining and separating. I have observed that many of them labor over simple facts to 10.  Before introducing related facts and fact families, I knew we had do do some work on fact fluency. I found a great rap on Youtube that we listen to and sing along with every day.

I also created this visual that we use to practice.  The kids chant all the ways to make 10, in order, while I record them.

Scholars have also been practicing fact fluency in Math Stations.












This is a10 frame practice game.    10 Frame Game   
I just added it to my Symbaloo page and the kids can access it quite easily. There are 4 different levels of difficulty and it gives immediate feedback :)  The kids were very engaged!




I use UNO cards to create a '10's Go Fish' Game. I pulled out all the extra cards and the wildcard serves as a 10. I made a simple recording sheet for recording the matches as number sentences.



In this station scholars roll a dice and use cubes to show the number on a 10 frame. Then they figure out what number they need to make ten and record the number sentence. Their partner does the same thing on the other 10 frame and they check on each other.

Next week I have some fun games planned that involve adding doubles!

1 comment:

Mrs. Patton said...

Looks like your kids are getting some great practice! I love seeing them on their Macbooks. :)